Domb on Real Estate

Friday, August 7, 2009

An exerpt from Perrysburgblog.com

I served on a panel with the CEOs of Prudential, Coldwell Banker, and Keller Williams last week. Here is the take away from one of the realtors in the audience, Jon Modene from Toledo, OH.

The Air Was Thin Up There . . .
My one plus week hiatus occurred as I was attending a series of real estate mastermind meetings in Denver Colorado.
Now, being from table-flat Northwest Ohio, ANY trip to Denver is fun. And I get to go there at least once a year since RE/MAX International has their HQ there in the “DTC” - the Denver Tech Center.
I took the Dear Wife with me. We had a day or two to go to Pikes Peak, Ft. Collins, Boulder, Rocky Mountain National Park, the Broadmoor, and some other tourist things. (Tip: Do the 13 mile, one-way, dirt road trail in RMNP - lots of fun in a rental car!)
But - and in all seriousness - I do not know where they get their oxygen from. At 10,000 or 11,000 feet . . . that is thin, rare air.
So there are pros and cons of living at the bottom of the Black Swamp in Wood County.
Cons: No vistas. No mountains. No way to see far away.
Pros: Oxygen to breathe. Humidity to lubricate your lungs, etc.
One of the most memorable exchanges was on the last day of the big mastermind meeting that I was attending.
Four panelists: CEO of Prudential. CEO of Coldwell Banker. CEO of Keller Williams. (All large national franchises - think billions of dollars of solds).
Fourth panelist: A producing Realtor from Philly - Allan Domb. (Sells A LOT of condos every year - think $100millions plus).
CEO’s all wanted more government help. More tax credits. Ban the banks from competing with us. More stimulus.
One CEO told a funny story mocking Congressman Barney Frank.
I might want to “recalibrate” that strategy if I was him . . .
The lone Realtor? Told them off. Market it not coming back. Adapt of die. Change or get gone.
Sellers are hurt.
Buyers are hunting.
The idea that a government program will “fix” things is foolish.
I found myself agreeing with my fellow Realtor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home