Domb on Real Estate

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bye Bye I-95?

Inga Saffron wrote her column today about I-95, likening the possibility of it being covered or even altogether closed down where it lies adjacent to Center City, to Boston's now very successful Big Dig. Read the article.

I have always been in favor of burying I-95 from the Ben Franklin Bridge to Washington Ave. We would recapture massive amounts of real estate that could be sold and developed, could be movie theatres, museums, restaurants, etc. It would bridge Society Hill, Queens Village and Old City right to the waterfront as one continuous flow of a neighborhood. The barrier we have now would be gone.

I lived at Pier 5 for 8 years and the inability to get to the city from the waterfront was frustrating. I had to make believe I was a hotel guest at the Comfort Inn to get a cup of coffee. There are no services down there right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home